Atlanta: (770) 422-9000 Savannah: (912) 733-2123


Home » 2010 » Medical Issues in Atlanta Workers Compensation Claims

Medical Issues in Atlanta Workers Compensation Claims

Workers comp benefits in Georgia allow you to get all of your medical treatment costs paid for after a workplace injury. Unfortunately, sometimes medical issues arise if you feel you are not getting the treatment you need or if your employer asks you to submit to a medical exam you may not want.

You need to understand your rights when it comes to medical care. An Atlanta workers’ compensation lawyer at Parsons & Associates, P.C. can provide you with comprehensive advice and assistance on getting treatment by healthcare providers covered. We not only know the law, but we also know most doctors in Georgia at least by reputation. We are here and ready to help, so call today to schedule a free evaluation of your work injury case and to get answers to important questions including:

  • What doctors can I see to treat my medical issues after an Atlanta work injury?
  • Can I get a second opinion?
  • What if my employer asks me to undergo a medical exam after a workplace injury?
  • How can an Atlanta workers’ comp lawyer help me?


What Doctors can I see to Treat Medical Issues Caused by an Atlanta Work Injury?

After an Atlanta work injury, you generally need to see a doctor on a “Panel of Physicians.” The Panel of Physicians is chosen by your employer. There must be at least six doctors for you to choose from on the Panel, and the Panel must be posted in your workplace in a prominent place.

If your employer does not have a Panel of Physicians or there are too few doctors on it, you may be entitled to get treatment covered with any physician of your choosing.

Can I get a Second Opinion?

You are permitted to switch from one caregiver on the Panel of Physicians to another caregiver on the same panel. However, you are allowed just one switch without getting approval of either the State Board of Workers’ Compensation or the workers’ comp insurer.

If you believe the doctor you are seeing is not providing appropriate treatment or advice, you can also take action. An Atlanta workers’ compensation lawyer will help you to ensure you are getting reasonable medical care provided by an appropriate healthcare professional.

What if my Employer Asks Me to Undergo a Medical Exam After a Workplace Injury?

If you are receiving workers’ compensation benefits for a workplace injury or illness, your employer or the workers’ comp insurance company has the right to request you undergo an independent medical exam. The insurer or employer may select the doctor who will perform the exam. However, the request that you undergo this examination must be reasonable.

How can an Atlanta Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Help Me?

If you are getting inappropriate medical advice or substandard care, you have legal rights. Disputes over medical treatment may be resolved with help from the State Board of Workers’ Compensation. Your Atlanta workers’ comp lawyer can help you to determine if you have a legitimate problem with your medical benefits provided through workers’ comp and, if so, can represent you in solving the problem and getting the medical care you need.

Call Parsons & Associates, P.C. today to speak with a caring, knowledgeable and professional Atlanta workers’ compensation lawyer for help resolving your medical issues.